Dr. Walid Tohme
He works with major healthcare providers, payors, and ministries of health across the GCC. He specializes in strategic and operational transformations, healthcare investment strategies, post-merger integrations, and joint ventures. Additionally, he is one of Strategy&’s experts on digitization and Big Data, and leads the firm’s efforts in this area in the Middle East.
Some of Walid’s recent client assignments include:
- Strategic transformation for a GCC Ministry of Health
- Growth strategy for a large medical center planning to expand in the GCC
- Operating model transformation for a major GCC Ministry of Health
- Due diligence and post-merger integration for the merger of a U.S. academic medical center with a large healthcare provider in the Middle East
- Go-live and Day 1 readiness planning for a flagship medical center in the GCC
- Operational and technology transformation for a major healthcare provider
- Market sizing and go-to-market strategy for an international health insurer looking to enter the GCC
He has more than 40 publications to his name in leading healthcare and technology journals and speaks regularly at major international conferences. Walid has coauthored multiple firm reports, including,
- The $68 billion challenge: Quantifying and tackling the burden of chronic diseases in the GCC
- Big data maturity: An action plan for policymakers and executives,” a chapter in the World Economic Forum’s Global Information Technology Report 2014
- Strong Medicine for Hospital CIOs: A Prescription for Improved Patient Outcomes
He joined Strategy& (formerly Booz & Company) in 1998, leaving in 2003 to join Georgetown Medical Center, Washington D.C., as a professor and division COO. He rejoined the firm in 2008.
Walid has a Ph.D. from Paris Sorbonne University in the management of health systems, and an MBA, as well as master’s and bachelor’s degrees in electrical engineering, from Georgia Tech in the U.S.