Sundar Subramanian is a New-York based Senior Leader and Principal in Strategy&, PwC’s strategy consulting business. Sundar leads the US Strategy Consulting & Risk & Regulatory practices for PwC Health Industries, and the Government Programs Center of Excellence (GCoE) focused on the Medicare, Medicaid and the Exchange/ ACA marketplaces. He is part of the PwC US Health Industries, Strategy Consulting and Risk Consulting Leadership teams. Sundar has held leadership roles as part of Booz & Company, prior to its acquisition by PwC including overseeing marketing and thought leadership creation, Fit for Growth*, and the core operations offerings.
Mr. Subramanian works with healthcare clients on strategy, business models, operations, operational and capability improvement programs. He has led multiple large scale transformation and turnaround programs with national and regional payors, retail pharmacies, and health services companies. He also pioneers work linking analytics and AI with strategy decision making.
He is widely published, including in Fortune, HBR, Forbes, Health Affairs, strategy+business, and Financial Times and is a recognized expert in the Medicare/ Medicaid/ Exchange markets.
Sundar's areas of expertise include:
- Developing capabilities-driven strategy and disruptive business models for health clients
- Leading operating/ business model transformations and operations improvement programs in healthcare
- Resilience and navigating uncertainty through linking risk, analytics and strategy
- Analytics/ Statistics and analytics-embedded approaches to driving business value
Some of Sundar’s recent client assignments include:
- Leading an end-to-end operating transformation for a national retail pharmacy chain
- Developing the consumer engagement strategy, operating model and supporting a tech-enabled transformation program for top three national healthcare company
- Developing and managing a program to reduce costs while improving the provider engagement model and care management capabilities for a national health plan
- Dynamic and micro-simulation modeling of the future of healthcare based on policy and other variables and developing a response strategy for one of the large state based exchanges
In addition to his client work, Sundar has contributed to the Health practice by co-authoring viewpoints and presentations, as well as participating in industry forums and interviews. His published work includes:
- Health Affairs - How Medicare Advantage Plans Can Thrive In A Winner-Take-All Market
- HBR - Personalized Technology Will Upend The Doctor Patient Relationship
- Fortune - Will U.S. health insurers catch up with Apple’s smartwatch?
Before Strategy&, Sundar worked for WellCare Health Plans and McKinsey & Company. He holds a BS in Technology from the Institute of Tech Banaras Hindu University, a Master's in Engineering from MIT, and an MBA from the Wharton School of Business.
* Fit for Growth is a registered service mark of PwC Strategy& LLC in the United States.