Steven Veldhoen is a leading practitioner in consumer and retail strategies for Strategy&, PwC's strategy consulting group. Based in Tokyo, he is a Partner with PwC Consulting LLC. He has over 25 years of experience and leads the Consumer and Retail team across Asia-Pacific, with a personal focus on working with clients in China and Japan. Steven co-leads the global team of innovation experts and practitioners at Strategy&. He has co-led various pieces of important research with academics at INSEAD and CEIBS.
His key functional expertise centers on:
- Growth and go-to-market strategies
- Innovation and consumer value propositions
- Transformation and culture change programs
Examples of his engagements at Strategy& include:
- Assisted a global consumer personal care company to significantly speed up its growth in China — including business model definition, manufacturing footprint design and GTM architecture
- Supported a global cosmetics company to rethink and redesign its innovation strategy, R&D network and integrated way-of-working in Asia-Pacific — including various topics specific to Japan, China, Korea and India
- Helped a global apparel company implement its e-commerce transformation in China — with a particular focus on O2O (on-line and off-line integration)
- Supported a global cosmetics company to restructure its business in Japan — freeing up investment to redirect to growth. The restructuring encompassed sourcing, shared-services and sales and marketing over a period of almost ten years
- Assisted a global food and beverage company with its culture change program in China — rethinking and reworking the culture across the original company business in China, and its various acquisitions and joint-ventures
Steven spent the first half of his career in between Europe and the U.S., and the second half of his career in Asia. He has held a number of senior leadership roles over the years such as co-Managing Director of the Japan business, Regional Managing Director Asia, Member of the Global Executive Team and Member of the Board.
Steven holds an MBA from IESE in Barcelona and Stanford University, and a B.A. from Nijenrode in The Netherlands. He is fluent in Dutch and English, has a strong command of French and German and a working interpretation of Chinese and Japanese.