Rich Parkin is a Partner with PwC’s Strategy& in the UK. He specialises in automotive and industrial products covering the value chain from suppliers, to OEMs and downstream providers (distribution, rental, finance, parts and services). He is based in London. His focus includes cars, light commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, construction, material handling and agricultural equipment, power generation and other (B2B) industrial products. Rich has over 25 years of experience working across the globe, including the United States, the Middle East and Europe.
Rich’s key areas of functional expertise are:
- corporate and business unit strategy
- marketing and sales
- business transformation
Examples of Rich’s experience include:
- Developing an overall transformation program encompassing 8 cross-company capabilities for an automotive OEM, looking for step change in Brand Opinion (+ 10-15% points over five years) to drive profitable growth
- Helping an automotive OEM to introduce a “low cost” car into a new territory, providing a comprehensive analysis of channels, markets, segments, brand options and economics. The project led to a successful launch for a new brand
- Multiple projects on distribution strategy and sales performance at the interface between a construction equipment manufacturer and its independent distributors
- Turnaround for an Interiors supplier, leading to a 5% point change in EBIT over two years
- Over 20 projects for an independent importer in the MENA region
Rich has published several articles including:
- Power Ahead: Making Sense of Business Models in EV Charging (2018)
- Charging Ahead: The Need To Upscale UK Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure (2017)
- How to overcome five myths that are distracting your auto company (2018)
- The Future Depends On Increasing Returns to Capital (Strategy& global automotive perspective, 2017, republished in strategy+business)
- The UK Used Car Market (2015)”
Rich joined Booz Allen Hamilton in 1999, prior to that he taught economics at a top 25 US business school. A UK native, he has spent his Strategy& career in Cleveland, Paris (14 years), and London.
Rich holds a BA and MA degree from the University of Cambridge, and a PhD from the University of Massachusetts.