Dr. Peter Gassmann
Dr. Peter Gassmann is a leading practitioner in the financial services industry for Strategy&, PwC's strategy consulting group. Based in Frankfurt and Dusseldorf, he is Managing Director Strategy& Europe and is the spokesperson for that region. He also leads the Financial Services practice in Europe and the global risk, finance, and regulation platform supporting clients to build holistic risk, liquidity, and capital management capabilities in view of the changing business and regulatory environment.
Peter Gassmann has successfully led multiple high-profile client engagements in diverse settings in Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas.
Recent project examples include:
- Design of risk and finance functions for financial institutions, including risk strategy, governance, and operating model, as well as IT architecture
- Alignment of business strategy, risk appetite, and risk culture
- Business transformation of a leading financial institution
- Large-scale banking stability programs with central banks in Europe and Middle East
- Development and implementation of innovative stress testing frameworks
- Optimization of credit risk management organizations and processes
- Introduction of internal models for market risk, liquidity, and treasury management
- Re-design of trading operations including interface to front office, back office, and accounting
- Review and definition of strategy and target organization for a leading Islamic bank
- Pre-merger and post-merger integrations with leading banks and financial service providers
Peter Gassmann is author and co-author of many publications, including the Strategy& viewpoints "The road to resilience: Basel III challenges require immediate action", and "Economic capital revisited: Forestalling another meltdown", and he is a regular speaker at international forums of the financial community.
Before joining Strategy&, Peter Gassmann was an Executive and Divisional Board Member of the risk department with a leading European bank. He started his professional career at one of the leading investment banks in London in the area of foreign exchange (FX) options. In addition he was the vice chairman of the supervisory board of a local real estate bank and a member of national and international banking associations.
Peter Gassmann studied physics and received his PhD from the RWTH Aachen University.