Carl J. Hugener
Carl Hugener is an advisor to executives in the Financial Services industry for Strategy&, PwC’s strategy consulting group. Based in Chicago, he is a principal with PwC U.S. He has more than 25 years of experience in helping financial services clients with engagements focused on IT strategy, IT effectiveness and technology and operations transformation. His industry focus is in banking, cards and payments, with additional experience in capital markets, insurance and health care.
Examples of his client experience include:
- Led development of a strategy for optimizing the profitability of the current card portfolio of a top-10 card issuer through customer value-based segmentation, improved analytics, and a detailed approach for capitalizing on the needs of each segment.
- For a credit card network, led project to define new processing strategy focused on ways to designate processing characteristics at the individual cardholder level, significantly differentiating the client from the competition.
- Responsible for a series of successful projects at a government-sponsored mortgage entity to accelerate the financial close process, improve operational processes, and bring the company into compliance with mandates from its regulator.
- Led cross-business unit project for a top-5 retail bank analyzing the effects of competitor mergers on the client’s payments business. Identified potential threats of over $1 billion per year and developed plans for proactive measures to mitigate the threats.
- Developed the IT Strategy for a leading financial transaction processor. This included both an assessment of the effectiveness of the current technology spend and identification and planning of critical technology initiatives needed to keep the company at the forefront of the industry.
- Led project to assess technology and operations function and drive cost savings at a leading credit card network.
Prior to joining Strategy&, Mr. Hugener was a Partner at Deloitte Consulting and Diamond Management & Technology Consultants and an Associate Partner at Accenture.
Mr. Hugener holds MBA and BBA degrees in Finance from the University of Wisconsin.