Michael DuVall is an advisor to executives in the consumer products industry for Strategy&, PwC’s strategy consulting business. Based in Chicago, he is a Principal with PwC US. Michael works at the intersection of the Operations and Consumer and Retail practices. A specialist in manufacturing and supply chain, Michael helps consumer products companies manage the dual challenges of broadening product portfolios and increasingly demanding and price-sensitive consumers. He leads the efforts to apply Fit for Growth* to the manufacturing environment, called “Winning with Complexity.”
His recent client work has included:
- Supply Chain Strategy – Defined the manufacturing and distribution network for a major food company, optimizing it for growth, rapid product innovation, and best total cost
- Complexity Strategy – Identified the differentiated supply chain capabilities for a major CPG company by understanding the attributes most valued by consumers and the position of key competitors
- Cost of Complexity – Assessed the cost of complexity for a global beverage company and defined strategies to optimize the value of variety against the associated costs
- Commodity Optimization – Developed an algorithm for a major CPG company to balance internal commodity production against prevailing market supply and demand, providing greater responsiveness to price swings and ensuring the lowest cost position
Michael contributed his expertise as a co-author of the article The Supply Chain Shift: Taking Manufacturing from a Cost Center to a Profit Driver for IndustryWeek magazine and the Strategy& study "Manufacturing’s New Role in CPG."
Michael joined Strategy& in 2006. Prior to that, he worked for consulting firms A.T. Kearney and Accenture. He began his career in manufacturing engineering and management with Caterpillar Inc.
He earned his Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Illinois and his M.B.A. from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management.
* Fit for Growth is a registered service mark of PwC Strategy& LLC in the United States.