PwC’s strategy consulting team Strategy& provides a level of operations expertise unique among general management consulting firms. Our definition of operations includes product and process development, manufacturing, sourcing, distribution, supply chain strategy and "back office" operations. Combining deep functional skills and product, process, and service-industry experience, Strategy& helps clients build competitive and differentiating operations capabilities that deliver value while allowing companies to operate profitably and invest in the future.
Client engagements range from acquisition due diligence to operations diagnostic to corporate or business-unit strategy, along with post-merger integration, implementation support, and continuous improvement. We apply lessons learned across industries to achieve and sustain step-change performance improvement. Strategy&'s operations professionals bring an explicit, analytical understanding of strategic, tactical, and operational decisions and how they impact bottom-line performance.
Strategy&'s experts in operations draw from years of experience working with hundreds of clients. Areas of focus include:
- Operations strategy for the extended enterprise: Our operations-strategy capabilities help clients to pinpoint the greatest opportunities for improvement in their extended enterprise.
- Supply chain management: We invented this term more than 20 years ago and have maintained a thought-leadership position as supply chain management concepts evolved through material requirements planning (MRP), enterprise resource planning (ERP), just-in-time delivery, and globalization.
- Sourcing: We continue to work with clients to develop and refine "balanced sourcing" capabilities, such as modeling total cost, leveraging supplier innovation, and evolving a global supply base. Recently, we have worked with clients across a broad set of industries to apply rapid sourcing capabilities to capture significant savings in product and non-product categories of spending.
- Operations strategy in service industries: We help clients across a range of service industries develop and implement an improved paradigm for managing complexity. Product architectures that maximize the commonalities and minimize the differences help describe the product or service in a way that is extremely useful in both the innovation and delivery streams. The business is simplified by facilitating alignment of the support infrastructure in the delivery stream through focused technologies and processes, and engineered through tailored business streams that segment the "process" support infrastructure typically around stability, predictability, or difficulty.
- Manufacturing: Strategy& works with senior executives on challenges like assessing overall manufacturing competitiveness, determining the status of manufacturing technology, defining the right make-versus-buy concepts, and establishing new global manufacturing networks. Equally importantly, we work with manufacturing communities on developing production systems, especially in industries where these are traditionally not common. We also drive cost-improvement programs in uncompetitive plants, and improve quality or throughput with clients wherever circumstances require it.