John Potter is Partner of Strategy&'s London office. He focuses on strategic operations issues for consumer goods, automotive, and other industrial goods companies and heads up the Operations Practice for Europe.
Highlights of Mr. Potter's assignments from over 20 years with Strategy& include:
- Leading a pan-European operations-improvement effort for a Tier 1 automotive supplier, including in-plant productivity improvement and manufacturing-network restructuring for a 65-plant network
- Creating a new global manufacturing strategy for an automotive drive-train manufacturer
- Developing sourcing and supply-chain management strategies for a global farm and industrial-equipment manufacturer
- Rolling out improved total-acquisition-cost sourcing strategies for steel parts for a global automotive parts supplier
- Redesigning the supply-chain structure, service offering, and control processes for a specialty paper producer to improve service and lower costs
- Executing the growth strategy of a multinational branded food producer by restructuring five national businesses into a pan-regional organization. In the process, Strategy& implemented a new manufacturing footprint, distribution model, and supply-chain processes
- Developing a new operations strategy, including sourcing, manufacturing, and distribution, for a European grain-based starch and sweetener producer, to eliminate competitive cost gaps with leading competitors
- Designing a new distribution network and supply-chain strategy for a leading cosmetics company
- Supporting the creation of the world's largest spirits producer by developing a new manufacturing and distribution strategy, rationalizing the existing footprint and creating a new global customer service center organization.
A recognized thought leader, Mr. Potter is the author of Strategy& studies including: “Airport operators' quest for efficiency: How airports can focus operational improvement efforts on their addressable drivers of cost” and “The Missing Metric: Measuring Shelf-Space Profitability”.
Before joining Strategy&, Mr. Potter spent nine years on active duty with the U.S. Navy. As a carrier jet pilot, he flew operational sorties and instructed student aviators on advanced jet piloting. Concurrent with performing his flying duties, he carried out ground responsibilities that included managing an airframe-maintenance operation and developing weapons-delivery tactics.
Mr. Potter received his MBA from Northwestern University’s Masters of Management in Manufacturing (MMM) program, a joint program between the Kellogg Graduate School of Management and the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. He also holds a BS in mechanical engineering from Yale University.