Hugo Trepant is a Strategy& partner based in London. He is the Global Practice Leader for the Public Sector, Defence and Security practice and the lead for the firm’s European and Middle East Defence and Security business.
He is part of Strategy&’s Engineered Products and Services practice. His focus is on the Aerospace, Defence and Security industries, working with clients in the commercial/private sector and the public sector. Hugo has extensive experience in strategy development, transformational change, enabling technologies and the management of change. This experience spans across Europe and the Middle East. He is particularly focused on Board Level interactions, bringing clarity to strategic issues and decision making.
He is well-known for his experience and insights in:
- Transforming existing organisations to achieve a step change in performance
- Services consolidation, centralisation and de-centralisation
- Business-led change strategies using ‘fit for purpose’ technologies
- Definition and delivery of large strategy based transformation and business benefits realisation
Examples of Hugo’s assignments include:
- Capability-Driven Strategy for a Middle East Ministry of Defence and its Armed Forces. Hugo led the strategy and operating model definition and supported the execution to successful implementation. This transformation included industry, both national and international. The end objective achieved was enhanced capabilities, increased operational readiness as well as greater overall efficiency.
- Transformation of a major UK government department with the primary objectives of improved customer service, increased efficiency and significant cost reduction. This transformation programme spanned from strategy to execution, resulting in doubling service delivery quality and halving the cost base.
- Transformation for an international oil company of their overall business support functions, service delivery model to the business units, alignment of objectives and efficiencies, including benefits realisation.
- Numerous strategy definition and execution initiatives for classified clients globally
- Definition of culture and leadership improvement initiative for numerous clients across industries and geographies
A thought leader in his field, Hugo has been published in strategy+business with articles such as “How Defense Companies Can Gain an Advantage in 2014”, “Strategy by Design” and “The Eco IT Solution.” He has also authored “Achieving information superiority: Five imperatives for military transformation”, and “A Path to Success for CIOs.”
Hugo began his professional career with Thompson CSF (Avionics Division R&D, now Thales) and then as a Petroleum Engineer with Schlumberger Wireline. He subsequently moved into consulting, specialising in exploration and production and utilities. More recently, he has defined and led some of Strategy&'s largest transformational change programmes.
Hugo holds a BSc in Physics and an MBA from Imperial College London. He is fluent in English, French and Spanish. He is a member of Chatham House, RUSI, the Society of Petroleum Engineers and The Energy Institute.
He has completed numerous ultra-marathons including the Marathon des Sables (MsD 2008, 2010 and 2013), La Trans Aq’ and the Gobi Desert Ultra.