Gagan Bhatnagar is a Partner in the London office of Strategy&. Gagan specialises in front-to-back cost transformation and operating model development for capital markets firms, including investment banks, asset management firms, securities services firms and custodian banks. Gagan has 22 years’ experience in the sector and has worked in Europe, the United States and Asia Pacific with some of the world’s leading financial institutions.
Gagan's key areas of expertise are:
- Front-to-back cost transformation
- Operating model assessment and redesign
- Operating strategy
- Capital markets, focused on investment banking, investor services and asset management
Examples of Gagan's experience include:
- Design of a global front-to-back cost transformation programme for one of the world’s largest global investment banks. Project focused on the identification of cost opportunities and synergies in the business portfolio (markets, clients, products), rationalisation of the front and back office footprint and front-to-back efficiencies
- Target operating model development for a top-tier global investment bank, focused on improved front office controls, definition of a new middle office, operational synergies and leverage of new market utilities
- Current-state assessment and target operating model design for a top-tier global securities servicing firm. Focus of the project was on strategic alignment, improved service quality, improved controls and cost reduction, covering client service, account/relationship management, operations, product, change delivery and IT
- Definition and piloting of a new model for Relationship Management for one of the world’s largest corporate and commercial banks. Objective of the project was to create significant additional sales capacity in the front office. Subsequently led the programme to pilot the new model in the bank’s top five markets and set up performance reporting to track improvements in sales effectiveness indicators
- Design of a new operating model for one of the world’s largest asset servicing firms, leading to significant reduction in operational cost, increased productivity and improved quality
- End-to-end review of the derivatives trading function of a global investment bank, including front, middle and back office, to deliver rapid cost reduction and reduced operational risk
- Transformation of the operating model, organisation structure, processes and global footprint for the market and reference data utility of one of the world’s largest banks, to create capacity for business growth and to improve control, quality, accuracy and timeliness
Gagan has published a number of thought leadership articles, including "Is your bank ready for growth?", which outlines a Fit for Growth* process for financial institutions - balancing prudent cost-cutting with investment in distinctive capabilities to deliver enhanced competitive advantage.
Gagan previously held a number of management positions at two major global consulting firms and is a graduate of Loughborough University, UK and the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University.