Detlef Schwarting is a leading practitioner in operations strategy for Strategy&, PwC’s strategy consulting business. He is a Managing Director Strategy& Germany, based in Düsseldorf. He works with clients in the healthcare sector, engineered products industry, and public sector.
His key areas of expertise are:
- Sourcing and supply base restructuring
- Supply-chain management
- Procurement operating model design
- Cost reduction initiatives
- Technical cost reduction
Recent examples of his client work include:
- Comprehensive redesign of the supply-chain management and sourcing operating model for a global telecommunications network provider
- Development and implementation of an IT sourcing strategy for a pan-European telecommunication provider
- Procurement PMI for a European mobile operator
- Realization of significant savings in sourcing of direct and indirect material and services of a European telecommunication equipment manufacturer
- Identification and realization of significant procurement savings at ten major university hospitals in Germany
- Strategy-based transformation program for the production and supply-chain management of a global pharmaceutical company from the development of the initial operations strategy to its full implementation
- Design and implementation of a cross-functional technical cost reduction concept at one of the leading automotive vehicle manufacturers in Europe
- Realization of significant savings at a mid-sized automotive supplier through strategic sourcing
- Business process re-engineering (BPR) of the services organization of a leading European network provider
- Development and implementation of an e-Commerce strategy for a telecommunications equipment manufacturer with a focus on customer relationship management, e-selling, and building of a state-of-the-art communications platform
- Development and implementation of the worldwide sourcing strategy for non-product related (NPR) goods for a major global electronics company
- Large-scale strategic sourcing program at a highly decentralized media company
Detlef Schwarting has received the Strategy& Professional Excellence Award twice, which was given in recognition of outstanding and innovative client service on an assignment for Vodafone and the Austrian Postal Service.
A recognized thought leader, he has contributed to Strategy& studies on sourcing, e-sourcing, and long-term trends in procurement and hospital operations. He co-authored "The transformative hospital supply chain: Balancing costs with qQuality" and "Sourcing excellence: The key to profitability in capital projects". Prior to joining Strategy&, Mr. Schwarting worked for Daimler-Benz AG, Stuttgart, Germany.
Detlef Schwarting holds a degree in electrical engineering with the highest distinction from the Technical University Braunschweig. During his studies he earned a scholarship from the German National Academic Foundation.