Based in Strategy&'s Amsterdam office, Behdad Shahsavari is a Partner and the leader of the European Consumer and Retail Practice, as well as co-leader of the Digital Practice. He focuses on the development of corporate strategy, large scale transformation and change programs, post-merger integration (PMI), and organizational structure and design.
His functional expertise is concentrated primarily in:
- Organizational design, transformation, and change management
- Commercial excellence – strategy and organization of marketing and sales functions
- Retail – manufacturer interfaces across all key functional areas
- The demand side of business for the consumer goods, retail, life sciences, and agriculture industries
- Due diligence and post-merger restructuring for venture capital and trade buyers
Mr. Shahsavari has led or contributed to numerous projects for the firm for a wide variety of clients, including:
- Leading the transformation of a large global conglomerate, defining the capability system to deliver the strategy, redesigning the operating model across all key dimensions, and driving the multi-year transformation and change program
- Leading the integration of the consumer businesses of one of the world’s largest consumer appliances and electronics firms; responsible for the total integration across all functions – commercial, supply, and support
- Leading the restructuring of the world’s largest domestic appliances business, focusing on commercial and back office functions
- Leading the post-merger structuring of two major European global personal care/general merchandise companies, involving all commercial, back office, and support functions across Europe
- Leading the commercial restructuring of a major global mobile equipment manufacturer, focusing on the channel organization and developing best-in-class channel management and commercial processes
- Supporting the post-merger integration of two global agribusiness companies, including leading the geographic work in Europe and coordinating much of the commercial work around the world
- Supporting a large northern European acquisition for a global packaged food company, including leading due diligence for the project—which resulted in a successful deal—and acting as commercial lead during the PMI
- Directing the acquisition of a set of retail businesses and concepts in northern Europe for a large venture capital firm
- Contributing to a major organizational redesign effort for a leading global branded consumer food manufacturer
- Leading the development of group strategy for a major European coffee company, whose key issues were step-change growth opportunities and the appropriate European support structure
With extensive experience in life sciences and agriculture, Behdad has also developed commercialization and retailing strategies for a variety of new products, modeled the economics of seed genetics, and developed value chain positions for innovations.
Behdad graduated magna cum laude from Duke University with a B.A. in economics, religion, and comparative area studies.