Based in São Paulo, Brazil, Strategy& Partner Arthur Ramos works with strategy and organization issues for companies in the oil and gas, utilities, infrastructure, and process industries.
His areas of expertise are concentrated in:
- Mergers and restructuring
- Strategy review and growth
- Governance and organization
Examples of Mr. Ramos’s contributions in support of clients include:
- Proposal of a new organizational model for the downstream operation of a leading Latin America energy company, taking into account international best practices and aligning it to the growth perspectives as envisioned in its strategy
- Growth strategy for one of the largest energy companies in Brazil, encompassing organic and inorganic growth, both local and international, taking advantage of the financial crisis to foster sector consolidation
- Assessment of alternatives for improving economics of sugar cane producers in the ethanol value chain
- Review of the governance model of the Board of Directors of a leading Brazilian company
- Several post merger integration assignments, covering industries such as power generation, mining, oil and gas, and petrochemicals
- Entry strategy and valuation studies across different industries such as fuel distribution and retail, power generation, electricity distribution, energy services, biotech, real estate
- Numerous strategic and regulatory assessments in the energy industry: comparative study of different experiences in the oil industry worldwide; review of regulatory and economic risks of the gas-to-power market; strategic planning exercise for the Ministry of Energy in Brazil to identify actions to remove barriers to the expansion of supply; review of the strategic position and organizational model for the energy unit of a large conglomerate in Brazil after the redesign of its power sector regulatory model.
A recognized thought leader, Mr. Ramos is the author of several Strategy& studies in the area of applied strategic and organizational themes for Brazilian companies, such as internationalization ("Setting Out To Conquer the World – Business Model Challenges and Lessons Learned in the Internationalization of Latin American Companies"); governance (“Tailored to fit – How Brazilian Companies Can Improve Their Governance Structure); and mergers and acquisitions (“Fusões e Aquisições no Novo Contexto Economico”). In the energy sector in particular, Mr. Ramos is frequently solicited for his point of view on energy trends, and authored a viewpoint on the opportunities and challenges of large discoveries in the Brazilian Offshore, titled “Pre-Salt: Oil and Gas as the Platform for a New Development Cycle.”
Previously employed by Eletropaulo and A.T. Kearney, where he served as Vice President, Mr. Ramos has a master’s degree in economics and an undergraduate degree in business administration from Fundação Getúlio Vargas in Brazil.
He enjoys arts, particularly literature, movies, and music, including playing guitar. Also a sport fan, besides loving soccer as most Brazilians do, he is a passionate runner on his way to completing his third Marathon.