Andy Schmahl is a Principal in our Chicago office and part of our Engineered Products and Services team. He helps clients respond to disruptions in their markets through designing operating model improvements and exploring new growth strategies. Andy’s primary industry focus is on the transportation, industrial and private equity sectors.
Andy specializes in:
- Growth strategy
- Market due diligence
- Operating model effectiveness
- Change management
Some of the topics which Andy has recently worked on with clients include:
- The impact of megatrends on network operating models (e.g. demographic shifts, digital technology)
- 3D printing’s effect on future transportation lanes (e.g., new origins/destinations)
- Use of Big Data as an offensive and defensive weapon (e.g., staffing, maintenance)
- Deployment of digital technology (e.g. mobile devices, kiosks)
- Growing prominence of e-commerce and m-commerce (e.g., B2B, B2C)
- Regulatory changes in transportation (e.g., driver hours of service, employment classifications)
- Emerging commercial viability of alternative fuels (e.g., CNG and LNG)
Andy is known for his expertise in identifying opportunities within market disruptions, speaking recently at the AAAE Conference in Tucson and the ACI Annual Conference in San Jose on the effective use of Big Data. He has also published “Same Day Delivery? Not So Fast” and “Future Disruptions in Transportation - 2014 and Beyond” in strategy+business magazine.
Andy has been with Strategy& since 2004. Before joining Strategy&, Andy performed advisory work for Arthur Andersen Corporate Finance and KPMG Corporate Finance. He also spent a year with AmeriCorps doing economic development work for a non-profit in Alaska.
Andy holds an MBA with distinction in Finance, Strategy and Marketing from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and a BA in Economics from the College of William & Mary.